Bugatti Rimac | Rimac gets its hands on Bugatti

One of the European automotive jewels changed hands last week. The French brand Bugatti, owned by the Volkswagen group, came under the control of the young Croatian electric vehicle manufacturer Rimac.

The manufacturer thus takes control of 55% of Bugatti, while the remaining 45% will now be held by Porsche through a transfer of shares by the Volkswagen group. It should also be noted that Porsche itself owns 27% of Rimac, which somewhat dilutes Rimac’s actual shares. The new entity will henceforth be called Bugatti Rimac.

This highly strategic transaction takes place in a context where manufacturers are declaring one after the other that they want to ignore the heat engine. With its expertise in the matter, Rimac has aroused the interest of many major players in the industry, including Hyundai, which currently owns 12% of the company.

Legendary Bugatti

Founded in 1909 by Italian Ettore Bugatti in Molsheim, France, the Bugatti brand has had a long and tumultuous history. However, it is much less since its purchase by the Volkswagen group in 1998. Ferdinand Piëch, then president of the group, wanted to make it the performance spearhead of the group.

This all materialized in 2005 with the launch of the Veyron which, with its 1,001 metric hp, could happily exceed 400 km / h and complete 0-100 km / h in 2.5 s. An important piece of automotive history was born. Since then, Bugatti has continued on its path by ensuring the development of the W16 of 8 L with four turbochargers which animated this Veyron, which is now bolted to the rear of the Chiron.

Preparing for a new era

Needless to say, such a mechanism, very extravagant and excessively greedy in fuel, does not fit well with the wind of electrification blowing on industry. Bugatti therefore wants to take advantage of Rimac’s expertise to launch a fully electric model. Mate Rimac, president and founder, however specified that this creation will be at the base a Bugatti benefiting from Rimac components, to preserve the notoriety of the manufacturer.

So, no revera rearranged here, the new 1914 hp electric supercar which will soon be marketed in Canada. A hybrid version of the Chiron is also in development, according to Car & Driver. A story to follow.

Read our article on the Rimac Nevera

window.fbLoaded = false;
window.fbAsyncInit = function() {
FB.init({appId: ‘166995983353903’, version: ‘v3.2’});
window.fbLoaded = true;
};
(function() {
var e = document.createElement(‘script’); e.async = true;
e.src = document.location.protocol +
‘//connect.facebook.net/fr_FR/sdk.js’;
document.getElementById(‘fb-root’).appendChild(e);
}());

Add Comment